View Single Post
Old 11-06-07, 03:46 PM
DunderXIII

Bikes: Marinoni Piuma, Tricross Elite, Tricross Sport (*R.I.P), Mikado DeChamplain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
YAHRQ: Heart rate zones

Hi, I'm 30 and I have a max HR of 202 (well that's as high as I went during a VO2max test, have 54.2). I use 197 maxHR on my bike. My resting heart rate is about 54 but haven't really measured it (this was read a while after I got up..) I read about several sites that say to exercise at 50-60% MHR and stay within 70-80%. The thing is, I get to 50-60% just by preparing my bike (ie: putting on the lights, setting up the panniers etc.). I'm in my low training zone just moving around??

On my commute (15km one way) I stay about half of the time in the 70-80% zone and the other half in the 80%-90% zone. But I don't feel really bad or anything, usually even at red lights the HR drops fast. At home I feel good too, and happy. The next morning though I'm usually a bit tired and if I commute two days in a row I get tired; at three I'm pretty tired. I did about 3-4 times a week this summer (17km one way.. changed course) but since fall started with lower temperature and rain I dropped to about 1-2 times a week (excluding occasional weekend rides).

I'm not really a sporty guy but I love biking and my job keeps me sitting all day. But I'm wondering, should I reduce the intensity by going slower and commute more or I'm OK doing this? I really feel keeping 50-60% is impossible, I wouldn't move at all or arrive home super slow and keeping below 80% gets boring fast. When I stop the activity I usually drop to 65% fast and stay there while I undress and 'unset' the bike. I can't see myself "resting" on the bike below 65% and move (I can get to 65% on the bike, just not below). Can I deal with intervals and rest at 65% instead of 60% for instance?

Riding fast in FUN and I have a hard time slowing down, especially in traffic where I tend to try/keep up with cars. Also, the stop lights provide regular rests that wouldn't happen in a gym, so the intensity must be lower than it would be if I kept a constant HR right? What do you think?

Also winter is coming so its gonna get even harder. I still want to keep my commutes rather short because well after a days work I want to be home and also, I need to eat. Right now I'm managing by doing even less biking and think about using the trainer but that's not motivating. I do intend to do cross-country skying though; but only on weekends.

Last edited by DunderXIII; 11-06-07 at 04:13 PM.