Old 11-07-07, 09:02 AM
flyingcycler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Opening a new bike shop

Hey there,

I'm located in the NY/NJ metro area and am interested in opening a bicycle store. I've read some posts here about how people say its a tough business, but I'm a real enthusiast and I'm very confident that I can effectively share my love for the sport with others. I realize that enthusiasm isn't going to pay the bills, but with rising gas prices I can't imagine a better time to give this a try. I've ordered a couple books over at the NBDA (highly recommended website!) which don't look superb, but they're really the only thing out there that I could find. I also listed to a podcast this morning called how to start a bike shop with a guy who claims to have been around the industry for awhile. Worth listening to. I especially found his comments on creative advertising to be helpful.

Here's my question for those who have been around awhile. Which books are worthwhile and which are junk? Also, are there any bike business consultants worth contacting (please don't mention the bad ones -- I don't want to make anyone mad -- just the ones that have a good track record)?

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!!