View Single Post
Old 11-08-07, 08:38 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by SeventySeven
Surely I'm not the only one who's pondered this.

Everyone who's ever used road shoes knows that they're a pain in the ass to walk around in. Big corporations like Shimano must have noticed this by now. How come they haven't developed a shoe with can retract the cleat back into the body? Of course, there will always be a compromise whether it be in stiffness or weight, etcetera. However, I'd be willing to sacrifice that for ankles that work. When I first started road cycling I used road shoes, so I've switched over to using MTB shoes since the cleat doesn't lift my foot up.

What about tennis/running shoes with retractable cleats? I'd definitely invest in a pair of those. I'm not willing to put platform/clipless combination peddles on my bike just yet, so a shoe that I could walk around in then jump onto my bike in would be fantastic. I guess there'd be very little stiffness in such a shoe, but again, I wouldn't be racing in that shoe so it's okay.

(NOTE: I think the second one's been brought up before, I just thought I'd bring it up one more time.)
Why not just use the mountain bike shoes? Every bit as good as road shoes and you can walk in them.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!