Old 11-09-07, 08:56 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by john bono
It's best to do a true "test run" tour. Load the bike up not like you are doing an overnight tour, and not like you aren't going to do any camping. Load the bike like your are going to be gone for at least a week, and at least half of that week you are going to camp(tent, sleeping bag, change of clothes, etc). Pick an out and back route of at least 50 miles total, through the roughest terrain that you can find doing such a distance. This will give you an idea of what it is really like to do a loaded tour. My guess is that you'll find the trek navigator to be both slow and very uncomfortable, especially on your knees.
I don't understand why the Navigator would allegedly hurt my knees more than any other bike for touring. I'm riding it with the proper degree of leg extension. While I have had knee problems from time to time, that's because I've stupidly tried to squeeze my knocked and crooked legs into SPD pedals without float. You very well may be right, of course, but I'd like a fuller explanation, if you or another poster would be so kind as to provide one.