Old 08-05-04, 10:52 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by jrisles
Can i ask what tandem you are riding these days?
We have two Erickson road tandems -- a '98 Signature & '02 S&S Custom travel tandem -- and an '02 Ventana El Conquistador de Montanas full-suspension off-road tandem.

Originally Posted by jrisles
The C'dale Sovereign is an Aluminium tandem and is $3695.00 new
Sort of, but not exactly. The Santana Sovereign on Ebay is outfitted with similar components to the Speedster (e.g., Ultegra, etc..), less the carbon fork and disc brake. However, a new Sovereign is about $4,695 - $4,895 (don't have my catalog here with me to double check). What you're probably thinking of or seeing priced at $3,695 is what Santana calls a Sovereign SE. The SE (Special Edition) models use the same frames as the more expensive models with the same name, but the SE means you're getting Shimano 105 level shifters and other less expensive components/wheels. Just wanted you to be clear. Apples to apples, you compare a Santana Sovereign to a Co-Motion Roadster (both are aluminum) OR a Santana Arriva to a Co-Motion Speedster (both are Chromo). Regardless, I'm with you on what you're looking at and comparing visa-vie the Ebay links.

All of that said, I would still select the Co-Motion based on everything you've said. The bid start price is pretty close to what he would like to get, and as equipped and with the transferrable warranty, it's not a bad deal for what appears to be a very nice tandem. I'm not a fan of the Race Face cranks, but that's about the only weakspot in the component package I can see and that's a personal taste thing -- they're stiff and light but look butt-ugly on a road tandem and will take a nick out of your ankle if you clip one of the arms.

The Santana Sovereign match-up against the Co-Motion would not change much from what I previously outlined relative to the pros and cons between the two brands/bike, new-purchase options excluded. IMHO, the Co-Motion chromoly frames are the stiffest and most responsive available from any production builder and are perhaps as stiff as the Santana Aluminum models where it counts the most -- never seen any measured data, but that's my impression having ridden examples of these various tandems (let the flames begin).

The #3 Co-Motion appears to be a mid-90's model ('95 - '96 ish) and is, at least in my estimation (and based on my handy-dandy used tandem pricing tool) over-priced by several hundred dollars even on it's best day. Also, the Speedsters being made today feature improved alloys, longer stoker compartments, and of course the componentry is all current vs. what was "good" back in the mid-90's (mostly MTB stuff).

As for throwing the C'dale into the mix, again, it's hard to find a better value -- more bang-for-the-buck, if you will -- than the '04 RT1000. But, it's a completely different ride than the Co-Motion. It is very, very stiff and has sportier steering than the Santana, Burley or Trek, but not as sporty as the Co-Motion. Again, it's really a test-ride and decide thing OR, trust your instincts. I'm a "steel is real" guy when it comes to road bikes (OK, Ti is pretty nice too and Calfee makes a nice carbon bike), so I've always been biased towards steel when it comes for anything that's not a race-specific bike. Put another way, I love running around on 600cc - liter Sportbikes, but when it comes to taking a long ride or putting Debbie on the back, I prefer the longer wheelbase of a GT bike like our Honda CBR1100, a Kawa ZX-11, or BMW K1200GT.

Parting shot: If the Co-Motion is the right size for you two, you'll most likely be able to ride this tandem for many years without ever being tempted to upgrade (except maybe for a set of better looking Ultegra cranks). There's just not a lot that you would need to improve upon as the next step up from a Speedster is a go-fast tandem like the Supremo or a custom. The other two tandems -- even if they fit -- would likely be ones that you would outgrow quickly if you decided that tandeming is your bag.

In closing, you might want to drop a note to Dwan Shepard at Co-Motion (Co-Founder & Co-Owner) with a link to the '03 Speedster ad on Ebay to see what he thinks of the sizing (include your personal data para from your post to the list) and to be sure there's not any "history" behind the bike, e.g., lost by UPS and bought at auction, etc... Heck, he may even offer you a great deal on a demo (you never know). His Email is Dwan@co-motion.com It may take him a day or so to get back to you, depending on how covered up he is with work. Dwan's a great guy, he has a great partner, a great company, and they make great products.

Yes, I'm an unabashed fan of Co-Motion, even though I don't own one. Pretty interesting, eh? It even baffles Dwan.

Last edited by TandemGeek; 01-30-05 at 09:04 PM.