Old 11-09-07, 01:35 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
If you are not at fault, it is important to get a police report. Don’t give the other guy extra time to refine a made up story of how it was not their fault.

A guy in a company van left hooked my son (while he was driving his car). My son called me from the scene and said that the damage was not too bad and the other guy admitted it was his fault. My son asked what he should do. I told him to call 911 and get a police report, because the guy will change his story when he has to talk to his boss and he would blame my son for the accident.

That night my son asked if I wanted the police report. That surprised me since my experience was that it took at least a week to write and make a report available. Well it turns out that for non-injury and <$3,000 damage accidents, if you call 911 rather than just exchange information, the Honolulu Police now simply fill out a copy paper form with just the information the drivers are required to exchange if 911 was not called. No investigation, no citations, no statements, no drawings of the scene. WORTHLESS.

Sure enough, the guy lied and told his boss it was my sons fault. Talking to my insurance company, I told them about the “police report” we were given. They said, yeah they are worthless and they do not even bother obtaining those type of reports from the Honolulu Police anymore. My insurance company went to work and mad the other insurance pay up.