View Single Post
Old 11-10-07, 01:15 PM
dirtbikedude
Gravity Is Yer Friend

Bikes: Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Kona Bear, Bianchi 928 Carbon/Chorus, C'Dale Rize4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Air forks will work great and will save you weight. If you are building a pure race machine I would suggest an air fork. A good air fork will give you all the adjustments you need and will save some weight. If it will be on a race only ride then it wont be taking the abuse of an everyday ride. Either the FOX FSeries like the 32 F100 or 32 F120 or the Marzocchi Marathon Corsa SL WC (V-brake optional) or the XC 700 ATA (disc only).

If this will be an everyday bike as well as a race rig then go with a coil fork. The coil fork will handle the weight better and not break down as fast.

A good air and a good coil fork are both going to get the job done and both are just as good as the other but they will each give you a different type of feel.

Also, at your weight, to properly set up the suspension you will have to add more air then a lighter rider which will make the ride a bit on the firm side and not absorb the hits as well. There will also be a higher chance of blowing a seal with the higher pressures.

With a coil fork you can (and I would highly suggest doing so at your weight) put in extra stiff springs and increase the weight of the oil. It will add weight over the air fork but it will ride much nicer.

As far as keeping your V-brakes, I do not believe any of the good FOX XC forks have mounts for posts so you would need to go disc.

DBD