View Single Post
Old 11-11-07, 05:37 PM
bamb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for your info so far on my green mystery Peugeot, it's nailed to an early seventies PX-8, 72-75.

I visited my other bike today (sorry, no pictures):
Serial number is not at the bottom but at rear left dropout:
Y805-13647
That's 8 numbers? But this bike looks like it's from late seventies. Maybe the manufacturing of the model was done for quite long? Does the Y have any significance? Is Y8 1978 and P8 would be 1988?

It has a cotterless crank, that looks prettymuch like this:
http://home.wanadoo.nl/peugeotshow/images/1978_9.jpg
3 pronged. Couldn't fine any markings to indicate manufacturer.

It's blue, lugs too except for the slight gold edges. Crome lower fork (fork crown has a silver top that fades to blue), no inoxydable text, one sided bump in the frame for the shifter metal band.
Peugeot text has rainbow color angled stripe at both ends that does not extend below the text. (Like my green bike above but not in gold but in colors). The seat tube has a tall decal and the front head logo is profound. These would suggest around 77-79.

The stem is of Pivo mark (??). And I think I could see the text Normandy in the hubs, and 77 in the front and 78 in the rear.

It has again fenders, lights and a cargo stand, all those metal extensions for those are in the the frame. Also there's a weird stand/small box welded in the frame below the dynamo attachment at the rear that perhaps was for the lock? (I can't come up anything else, there's nothing attached there.)
The pump stand is in the seat tube. The Simplex rear derailleur had grey plastic, not red. The brakes were Mafac (iirc) but didn't have "Racer" mention. The brake handles are doubled, you can also brake when you hold your hands at the top handlebar instead of forward. That strikes me as odd, this bike must have been designed for really slow speeds then? The brake handles are grey ordinary metal throughout.

Also it has a foam saddle, I don't know if that is original. I couldn't examine the rims very closely as they were quite dirty and it was a cramped and dark place. Also the bike was quite rusted, especially the wheel quick releases and the chain. Much worse than my green Peugeot. It also feels kind of heavy.

So, all in all, cotterless crank I guess is a good thing (rather indicating newer age, not status) but otherwise it really doesn't seem that great. It must be a cheap version.

Are these catalogs
http://home.wanadoo.nl/peugeotshow/
anywhere near perfect? They show photos of only a few models per year. Or are just some models updated so little that no picture is warranted? I of course can use the model tables in them to get some data at least.

Last edited by bamb; 11-11-07 at 05:49 PM.