View Single Post
Old 11-12-07, 11:50 AM
orange leader
B-b-b-b-b-b-bicicle Rider

Bikes: 1997, stumpjumper S-works hardtail, Medici, Giant Perigee(track dropouts and fixed gear), Columbia twosome, schwinn twinn, '67 raleigh 5 speed internal hub, Old triumph 3 speed, old BSA 3-speed, schwinn Racer 2spd kickback, Broken raysport criteriu

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
folding innertube to fit?

Hello,

I have an old schwinn speedster, which I bought a new tire for, which was the wrong size, because the old one had a blow-out on the sidewall. got home, and the tire was the wrong size, They're both 24" but the old one is one of those wierd schwinn sizes. I thought the "schwinn sizing" only applied to 27 inch tires, but I was wrong. anyhoo, I cut up a another tire I was going to toss, to patch the sidwall, put it back on (this is months later now) and couldn't find the old tube, which hadn't ever blown but I took out before it popped. Perhaps my wife tossed it, who knows.

So the point is, I folded a 26" in there and pumped it up. Has anyone else done this? What was your success? Just curious. I don't ride this bike much, it's just a "round the block" slow cruiser...kids style with ape hangers. Fun bike, but NOT a long hauler. I know a field fix for flats is to tie knots in a tube around the hole, so why not just fold a tube that's too long? the tube width is correct (x1.5).

I know it's a hack job, and i don't usually do things this hack (at least not on purpose). so my disclaimer/excuse is that: the stores were closed and I'm getting ready to move so I want all the wheels back on my "project" bikes so they're less likely to get misplaced/damaged, and I figured a little air in the tires would help protect the rim during the move. but I tried it out briefly, and it rode fine....at least briefly, and the bulge was gone thanks to my sidewall patch.