View Single Post
Old 11-13-07, 10:22 AM
JSteiner
Jack of all (bike) trades

Bikes: Surly Long Haul Trucker for Touring, Motobecane Immortal Force for road racing, Old Trek 2300 for time trials, Specialized Hardrock for getting over rocks and through mud and snow

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had three different bar tapes on my bike in the last month. At first I had cork tape that was on the bike when I got it. Very durable- i think it had been on there for many years. I wanted something a little more comfortable on long rides. I bought some Stella Azzurra foam tape. I liked it for about two days. It definitely adds some thickness to the bars, and increased comfort, but was not durable at all. It ripped on me after about 2 weeks. I just wrapped with Specialized Bar Phat last night. It feels much more durable, and came with gel inserts. I was looking just for something for comfort factor- not really to increase the thickness of the bars, but the bar phat definitely did. The gel inserts add quite a bit. So far they feel better than anything else I've ridden with, but i've only gone about 10 miles on them. Time will tell.

But I recommend gel inserts (Bar Phat by Specialized) over Stella Azzurra foam bar tape. It adds more thickness to the bars, is more comfortable, and appears as if it will be more durable.

And I suppose it doesn't matter, but I'm confused on this 5" bar thing, too. Are you talking about the diameter of the curve in the drop part of the bars? Thats the only thing I can figure, but it doesn't seem like new bar tape is what you need. 5" diameter tubing for the handlebars seems wierd, unless it's some new design I haven't seen where you slip your arms inside....