View Single Post
Old 11-15-07, 09:24 AM
jgedwa
surly old man

Bikes: IRO Mark V, Karate Monkey half fat, Trek 620 IGH, Cannondale 26/24 MTB, Amp Research B3, and more.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by Stacey
I'm sure it isn't the credibility that Sheldon is lacking but rather ambition. Being ill as he is saps your energy and motivation, combined with the fact that Sheldon never seemed to be the self-aggrandizing type that so many book writing 'experts' seem to be.

Sheldon has the material, an agent would do so much more than just pitch the publisher.
1. At this stage, I think that is exactly all an agent could do. As a matter of fact, I think that because of this, one would have a much harder time convincing an agent to care than one would convincing a publisher to care. Once a publisher (or two) has looked at the book proposal and expressed some interest, then maybe an agent could be helpful in striking a deal. Even then I doubt it is really necessary, unless one is a big-time, highly profitable writer. I think the world of Sheldon's writing, but he will not sell like Steven King.

2. Fair enough, if one really does not want to write a book, then there is no point pursuing it. But if one did, then the publisher will do a good enough job lighting a fire under you; an agent is not really a fire-lighter in this way.

jim