View Single Post
Old 11-15-07, 07:17 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Cosmoline
What is all this business of washing bikes down with WATER?! Don't you guys know water and steel parts are a REALLY BAD COMBINATION! <snip>
Cool yer jets, thar Biscuit Boy. You're making an awful lot of assumptions. I can't speak for anyone else, but,

I live in a part of the country called The Rustbelt. Around here, everyone knows how much Fe and O2 love each other, and how nicely NaCl and H2O facilitate their bonding. Hell, I remember when car loans were limited to 36 months because after that, there wasn't enough car left for banks to repossess. Cars were disposable after two or three years. (Once, only once, my dad got four years out of a car, our '62 BelAir wagon. Edit: Now that I think about it, it lasted only halfway through its fourth winter. That February we bought a '66 Country Sedan.)

The only steel parts on my winter bike are the chain (a wear part), some screws (which are easily replaceable), the bearings (again, wear parts) and the axles and skewers (which I grease up really well). Everything else is aluminum, stainless steel (including my disc brake rotors), carbon fiber and plastic. Yes, over time, the aluminum will corrode. Big deal. It's a bike, not my child. I'll buy another one when it's time.

I have no outdoor storage for anything. The only place I have indoors where a bike will fit is my living room and my bedroom. Rather than have the bike drip messy slush next to the furniture, I rinse it off in the shower stall so that at least it drips clean water. It hangs next to the radiator to dry.

What makes you think I have a pressure washer in my shower stall anyway? If my shower were enough to drive water into the sealed bearings, then the seals couldn't keep out splashing water either. (And it would sure raise hell with my own delicate parts.)

No one around here has been critical of the choices you make in your bikes and their maintenance. In fact, as I recall, most people are quite supportive. So please don't be so critical of others and the choices they have made.

And please stop THE YELLING!

Last edited by tsl; 11-15-07 at 07:32 PM.