View Single Post
Old 03-21-02, 05:56 AM
nathank
cycle-powered

Bikes: '02 Specialized FSR, '03 RM Slayer, '99 Raleigh R700, '97 Norco hartail, '89 Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i definitely agree that cyclists make better drivers and that having experience as different types of users helps -- i too have been a driver, cyclist, runner, pedestrian, rollerblader, skooter user, etc...

but this isn't really something we can require of people - that they experience riding a bike - although maybe they should and it would be good for their health...

i grew up driving with my first car at 16 (i became a bike commuter at 27 and chose to become carfree at 30) - i became a cyclist in college at 18 and i knew all about driving, but i made many mistakes and my only 2 bike accidents in the city in my 12 years of riding 5000+ miles/yr were in my first 2 years --- both from riding at night w/o lights while wearing dark clothing... it just didn't seem to me to be a problem - as a driver you think being able to see is important, as a cyclist seeing is no problem in the city, but BEING SEEN is important...

i think some kind of training or awareness would be a good thing -- i think at least in Oregon they added a big section to the Auto licensing about watching for bicycles and in Europe it's standard - but yeah, i can see it really being a problem for others to know the rules - not only road rules, but also about lighting and visibility and stuff which is really important.

i guess in the school system would be appropriate if they enlarged it to cycling/pedestrian safety...