Old 11-18-07, 11:13 AM
Al Bundy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Cannondale Road -1,2 or 3?

Hello All,

I am researching a possible tandem purchase for myself and wife/8 year old daughter. I haven't cycled since my teens, but see this as an opportunity to get some exercise and quality family time. I am interested social rides and later possible credit card touring. My leaning is towards a lighter, stiffer bike; I am definitely not interested in a `beach cruiser'... I will probably buy used.

I am 5'7" (30" inseam) and my daughter 4'3" (26 inseam). My wife is 5'4" and just giggles when I try to measure her! The Trek standover seems a bit high but a Cannondale M/S might be a good fit. I am hoping that my daughter may just fit without a Stoker kit -(any comments?)

I have seen adverts for new bikes with versions 1,2 and 3 and the price varies considerably. From all that I have read on here I `need' to get a suspension post at the back and I am keen to get a drag brake or disk (I did manage to blow out a tire due to rim heat years ago on a single). I am leaning towards a Cannondale as allegedly its pretty stiff, and is at a price point which I am comfortable with. A Co-motion would be nice but I dont think I want to pay that much (at this stage).

I don't know enough about the different wheels/component packages/etc. to make a value decision on what I want to look for. I have seen the low end version for 1800 new and at this point it might be better than buying used(?)

Looking for any advice or help.
Am in Temecula, CA

Newbie Mike