Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by tedi k wardhana
I usually read the commuting forum.
Never toured yet.
need to know how many miles per day you guys usually ride?
or, how many hours?
because not too often when I ride home (more often I take the bike on a train), 35miles and my behind feels numb already.
I guess my limit is only 35 miles. or 4-5 hours only.
thanks....
Most of my riding is outside the touring realm.

I ride anywhere from just a few kilometers around the block to test something on my bicycle, all the way to my personal best ... 462 kilometers in 24 hours.

You see ... I'm a recreational rider, a commuter, a ultra-distance racer, a randonneur, and of course a cycle-tourist.

On a tour, I vary between maybe 30 kms on a day when I don't feel the urge to ride far ... all the way to a full century (160 kms). Most of the time, my preferred distance is about 80 kms (50 miles).

In all those distances, my sitting area is just fine. It's simply not a factor in how far I can go ... even on the 24-hour races, and even on the 1200 km randonnees. I ride a Brooks B17 which is well broken in, and it is like a part of me ... I don't even feel it. It currently has 35,000 kms on it, and is still just as comfortable as it was when it first broke in.

If you're experiencing discomfort after 56 kilometers, I'd strongly suggest two things:

1) Make sure your bicycle fits you. Take it to a fitter. Read Peter White's advice on fitting a bicycle. Read anything you can on fitting a bicycle (I believe there are a number of websites with bicycle fitting advice). BUT as you do this, remember one thing ... you're on a touring bicycle not a racing bicycle. The agressive aerodynamic position is great for a someone in a short distance race, but not good for someone on a tour. Aim to set your bicycle up so you sit up more.

2) Experiment with saddles until you find one that works for you.