AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Vitamin D and Sun Exposure

http://dietary-supplements.info.nih....s/vitamind.asp
"Ten to fifteen minutes of sun exposure at least two times per week to the face, arms, hands, or back without sunscreen is usually sufficient to provide adequate vitamin D [14]."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/he...-d-winter.html
"our bodies create vitamin D when exposed to UVB rays from the sun. Generally, doctors recommend that 10 to 15 minutes outdoors at least twice a week in summer without sunscreen is adequate."

"Dr. Holick advises, "Make sure the tanning salon bed puts out UVB. That’s done with medium-pressure lamps. High-pressure lamps only put out UVA, which will not make any vitamin D. With UVB rays, you won’t get a burn, you won’t even get much of a tan, but you’ll get lots of vitamin D.""

"You don't want to overdo it, because too much vitamin D in the body can cause vomiting, raise blood levels of calcium causing confusion, and cause heart rhythm abnormalities. Health Canada warns exceeding the recommended limit could lead to an overdose that can cause kidney stones as well as damage to the heart, lungs and blood vessels."

And also ...

"While some people favour taking cod liver oil, believing vitamin D is absorbed more easily that way, Dr. Holick says it’s a myth."

Just a few things to think about with regard to Vitamin D and winter.
I find that sort of paranoia in advising against vit A and vit D insane, paticuarly for Canadians. I live in sunny Australia near Canberra. Canberra is the coldest city during an Australian winter but its still usualy sunny most of the time. I'm a courier driver so I spend plenty of time outdoors.

So given all that I take halibut liver oil capsules in winter because I feel the NEED for extra vit D. I CAN tell the difference if I don't take them and I don't suffer from too much vit A and vit D. How on earth you get ANY vit D during a Canadian winter is beyond me.

I think that this has to be put down as another case of "faith" in the powers that be.

Also the only vit A and vit D that can be toxic is the synthetic variety so stay away from pills or fortified oils but even then the risk is overblown compared to the very realy problems of not getting enough.

Regards, Anthony