View Single Post
Old 08-09-04, 01:02 PM
Raedeke

Bikes: '89-Trek 2120 '04-Cannondale Hybrid '05-Specialized Roubaix Comp '89 Burley Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Toppled the trailer twice on Saturday.

Here's a little back ground information. My daughter is 3 and about 35lbs. We've done about 2-3 dozen little bike rides together all without incident. The trailer is a Schwinn two seater. I pull her behind either my '83 Stump Jumper or my '03 Fuji Roubaix.

On Saturday I was pulling her with my road bike. We were coming off a bridge and making a right turn.
I probably cut the corner a little too much and she and the trailer turned onto its left side. Scared the crap out of all of us. Luckily she had her helmet on - she wasn't hurt and little damage to the trailer. Just a little scratch on the frame and tear on the fabric.

Not more than 4 miles later I'm making another right turn and again the trailer flips on its side. Incidentally, she was sitting on the left side so I can understand that the weight and energy would lend itself to that kind of event.

But It's never happened before and twice in that short of span leads me to believe that other factors might have been at work - shifting of body weight as we turned - Exceeding weight limit - angle of the road - or perhaps the trailer is bent and not riding properly - etc.

Anyone else have this happen - or ideas...
Thanks