View Single Post
Old 11-19-07, 01:10 AM
MichelleE

Bikes: Specialized HardRock

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here's my funny stealth camping story for Germany. I was on my second bike tour ever and decided to camp in some wooded area just outside of Wurzburg since I couldn't make it into town before dark. I talked to an older couple and asked about camping in the woods. They felt that only a very mean person would ask me to move on. I naively took their advice, rode my bike along a dirt road and with my lack of experience pushed my bike into the woods and waited for darkness to set up my tent. While I waited I took out my butane stove and carefully cooked a meal thinking I was out of sight. Throughout this I was wondering what that strange wooden tower was nearby.

Before long an SUV type vehicle stopped along the dirt road and a man got out and kept looking over toward me. He then left and darkness set in. A short while later two flashlights came towards me and someone called out "Polizei! wer sind sie?" (Police! who are you?). I quickly called back "Michelle! ... uh, from Canada". It turns out I was camping on some hunter's terrain and he didn't want me there. I guess that would explain the many gunshots I heard earlier. The two police officers couldn't quite understand why I would leave a beautiful country like Canada, with so much nature, to come tour in Germany. I explained that it was unsafe to continue at night and that's why I was camping there since that's how we do it in Canada ...somewhat stretching the truth here ;-). They took my passport and did a check at the patrol car. Then they told me to just move a few kilometres down the road and promised not to come looking for me again that night. They also suggested that I not camp right beside some hunter's tower the next time :-) Now I'm a little wiser and still free of bullet holes.