View Single Post
Old 11-22-07, 02:52 PM
sprockets

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by invisiblehand
One way to look at this is what type of full size bike do you ride? The more high-end your full-size bikes the more likely the Bike Friday premium is worth it to you.

I can tell you that when I was 195 pounds, I could flex the hell out of the Dahons I tried out. But I think that they are a good value. I decided that since my bikes tend to last forever, I would pay for the Bike Friday.
You make a very good point here. The only other issue to address is the "What will I use this for?" issue. I see myself mostly using it for running around cities that I am travelling to and, when I am done, stuffing back in the suitcase and heading off to the next town or city. When I'm not travelling I think it'd primarily be stuck in my car trunk in case the urge strikes me or if I go camping for getting around the camp ground. Maybe I can fit one on my Goldwing? Who knows. That being said, if these bikes truely can perform like full size bikes then I could see myself using it more for touring from town to town for a vacation in some foreign country. I couldn't see it replacing my Canondale Bad Boy or my ancient Trek 2100 any time soon but for spontaneous day trips to the Niagara region or something it might be handy.

Then again, if I buy a high quality one (which I usually lean toward) I'd like to know that it will be able to meet my current and future needs. Proper fit, stiffness, finish, durability - these are all things that are important to me in my decision to make a purchase. Obviously comparing a P8 or a D7 to a Bike Friday NWT isn't a direct comparison. However I also want to avoid purchasing a more affordable bike to find that it's too small or doesn't meet my needs. I'd also be very disappointed if it had quality issues on top of that.

I guess what I really need to know is "Do these folding bikes perform as well (or at least in the same range) as a decent quality full size bike?" Really the best way for me to determine that is to ride one, which is sadly not much of an option as far as Bike Friday NWTs go.