Old 08-12-04, 11:49 AM
bluejack
Know Your Turf

Bikes: Surly LHT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I have seen cars pulled over for running lights. As they should be of course.

I do agree with NGateGuy that I shouldn't be complaining about being stopped for breaking the law -- but of course it's a story to share, so even if it doesn't entirely put me in a good light, I like to share it. In this case, I think a case could be made that I wasn't breaking the law, but the fact is, I do cut those light close -- because I know their schedule by heart. In this case, I know my turf. I know I was riding alertly (although not alertly enough to realize I was being tracked by a motorcycle policeman, apparently several blocks back because it took him a while to catch up to me after I turned off Jackson), but to a casual observer it might have seemed that I was being careless, even reckless.

What makes me more curious is the apparent (although it could be coincidence) crackdown on cyclists by the police. I am not riding any differently than I have always ridden, and I have never been stopped before. Twice in two? three? weeks is startling.