View Single Post
Old 11-28-07, 05:31 AM
damnable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sunglasses for the Shortsighted

It's time for a new pair of proper sunglasses, for sun protection not just while riding but during general activities as well. Now I am to a certain extent putting out my thoughts here and would like if possible anyone who disagrees to pipe up and give experiences.

So there are a number of choices.

1. Contacts with normal sunnies. Not really for me, I get very dry eyes and am unable to wear contacts to work due to the nature of work. I do wear dailies occasionally but heavily rely on eye drops as they make my eyes quite dry and irritated.

2. Prescription sunglasses. Still an option, however unfortunately at my script (very shortsighted) I can only get lenses in more traditional reading glasses style frames. This would mean I am not getting the sun protection of a more wraparound frame, which rather defies the point in my opinion. These frames are also generally less robust for more active activities.

3. Sunglasses that take a removable insert. More expensive, but can take my script, have the full wraparound frame and the prescription insert is removable so if I still have the option of wearing contacts. Which is handy as I do wear them to the beach. Downside are that the frames tend to be large (although it could be argued this would offer even more sun protection) and the insert could sit close to the eye, making it possible for eyelashes to touch, although I can test this out before purchase. Adidas and Rudy Project are the only brands I have found the offer this style. I am leaning towards this option.

So, can anyone else offer any added advice? Any ideas of other frame brands that can offer something similar to the third option? This will be a big purchase for me and I want it to be something that I won't regret and will last.
Thanks in advance for your feedback.