View Single Post
Old 11-28-07, 12:14 PM
thebulls

Bikes: SOMA Grand Randonneur, Gunnar Sport converted to 650B, Rivendell Rambouillet, '82 Trek 728, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 500, C'Dale F600, Burley Duet, Lotus Legend

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Once the temp gets down to about fifteen degrees F., I just can't keep my feet warm. Once I've really gotten going and riding hard, I can be dripping sweat from my face, have warm everything, but be unable to keep my feet warm. This is while wearing thick wool socks with vapor barrier liners underneath (to keep the wool dry) in extra-roomy shoes with thick wool socks over the outside of the shoes and neoprene shoe covers over all of that. Partly, it may be bad circulation (though my hands are toasty); partly, the toe box may still not be roomy enough; partly, maybe my legs could be warmer. But mainly, I can just feel the warmth getting sucked out the bottom of my shoes through the SPD cleat. One solution might be double insoles, as someone suggested, but there isn't room. So this winter, I bought a pair of extra-long PowerGrips, and am going to try wearing regular boots instead of cycling boots. Will report later, when it really gets cold.