View Single Post
Old 11-28-07, 04:06 PM
rykoala

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first commute since July! woo hoo!

This morning marked my first commute since July. I got hurt in a cycling accident in June (my own fault) and tried riding again in July and only hurt myself worse (I hurt my back, pulled a muscle, then ended up with a ruptured disc).

I built my new commuter (currently a 14 speed mtb) and put it to the test today. I did a couple of 3 mile rides over the 4 day weekend and those went well, so I felt comfortable with my 6 mile commute.

It was 21F/6C and I wasn't sure I was ready. I went for it though, and it worked out really well. I took 40 minutes to go 6 miles, up from my normal 25 minutes. That was ok with me though. My focus was not on going fast, but just on GOING. I made it and felt great and have felt great all day. No back pain, no butt pain even. Having been off the bike for 5 months I worried that my rear end would be sore, but my Brooks B17 took care of me. Only the very first time on the bike a couple of weeks ago (a short jaunt for 10 minutes) was my saddle interface sore. That went away and I've had no pain since.

Tonight I'm going to work on insulating my clipless shoes against the cold weather. My feet and face were the only part of me that was cold. My feet are STILL cold and its been 7 hours!

Also, I tried the wal-mart cold weather compression pants under some running pants. It went great, my legs were not very cold.

Well, I just had to share. I'm so excited to be back riding! Tomorrow I have to drive, but from here on out... I'm riding!

WOOO HOOO!!!!