View Single Post
Old 11-30-07, 03:41 PM
akbiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3 flats, 1 month, help

I also posted this commuting, but I thought you guys may have some winter specific ideas.

I bought some used nokian hakka 300 studded tires for winter riding here in Alaska. I love them, but i keep getting flats in the same place over and over, 3 times so far. After about 10 miles my front tire goes flats from a rip at the base of the valve stem. I have used three different kinds of tubes all presta valves. These are not slow leaks either. the tire is fine and BOOM total loss of air, never while riding only while it parked, usually immediately after I dismount. After the second blowout I made a meticulous inspection of the entire tire and rim for causes. I taped around the valve hole in the rim just in case, but there doesn't seem to be anything else wrong. Oh, by the way it only the front tire (the back has been great) and I run about 35-40 psi. I weigh 170 and I am not really riding aggressively or doing anything out of my normal routine of commuting. Any help would be great because it is getting really annoying and expensive. thanks