Old 12-01-07, 12:01 AM
slogie

Bikes: Holdsworth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by makeinu
What a load of bull. First of all, we all know that the majority of the price on a BF isn't paying for components. It's paying for a custom made frame built to specification. Second of all, I understand that prices will go up all around, but why is it that BF is increasing prices more relative to the foreign competition?

Being a US company selling frames made in the US, they should be able more effectively stave off price increases than the likes of Pacific Cycles, Dahon, etc. Yet, for some reason, I see foreign made bikes going down in price while BFs go up in price.

I also don't like how they're advertising percentages off instead of actual prices. 10% off doesn't mean anything if it's a preowned bike priced 10% too high to begin with. I'm very interested in knowing what the price of that "pre-loved" tikit is, but I'm not going to jump through hoops to find out.
I agree. It's ironic that the major folder company building bikes in the USA is blaming the falling dollar for price increases when we don't hear that from the sellers that source everything from overseas. I don't think many bike components are denominated in Euros anyway; except the Rohloff hub - which is a minority demand item. More like poor communications and pricing strategy. It seems inept marketing to introduce new models like the BTO (build to order) Tikit and then almost immediately announce price increases. That said I have to say I bought two machines this year from Bike Friday and have been very satisfied with the product and reasonably satisfied with the service. Good product, but irritating marketing rubs the wrong way - one just needs to shrug it off I suppose.