View Single Post
Old 12-01-07, 05:09 PM
dorosz

Bikes: 80's Schwinn Sierra MTB* 07 Jamis Ventura Comp* 09 Fuji Nevada 3.0 MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They are doing a therapy now that involves a computer controlled set up that gently stretches the spine to relieve pressure. works well for some, you'd need to talk to your doctor.

If you practice Yoga you can achieve some of the same results by doing a supported head stand. Its done between two chairs, shoulders on the chairs and head in between so that there isn't any pressure on the neck itself. You might also try inversion with one of the commercially available products. But basically they all use the same principal and work by reversing the normal pressure/weight that is impacting the disc.

If it gets bad your doc may suggest the epidural cortisone injections, I found them painful but helpful. Sadly I reinjured my neck after the course of injections and ended up having the fusion surgery.

Now that you have hurt your spine there is a good chance it won't ever be quite the same, you need to find the things that work for you out of what is available, NSAID's will certainly help and the surgery should always be a last resort.

I certainly agree with Dave that the kind of pain and debilitation that can result from not treating it promptly can make life a pure misery, and may lead to permanent problems of other sorts ( I have lost quite a bit of the strength and function of the triceps in my left arm due to the nerve damage) fixing the problem should be a higher priority then continuing to ride, wiht the goal of course being that once your better you can resume doing the things you enjoy.