View Single Post
Old 12-01-07, 09:00 PM
dekindy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Side effects from riding in the cold

I rode all last winter except for 6 weeks from the end of January to the middle of March when the roads were snow and ice covered. I have acqired much warmer and technically better gear this winter.

After riding Tuesday evening for two hours I woke up during the night with flu like symptoms. Headache, aches and pains, slight cramping, and one of my nostrils was completely clogged/closed? shut. One nostril was so clogged that I could not get any sinus rinse through it and the other was difficult. I took an Ibuprofen and went back to bed. In the morning I woke up and felt fine except for maybe being slightly run down. On Saturday, I really struggled while riding. I was riding much slower and really struggled against the winds and on hills. Other than the reduced effort, I really had no symtoms. I was dressed warmly enough that nothing was cold, although I was not toasty either.

I wonder if I am fighting a bug or what could be causing my symptoms. Is it possible to be dressed warmly enough not to be cold but have too much blood being used to keep warm that there is not enough for the muscles. I am much more warm blooded than other riders and typically require much less clothing to keep warm. I also seem to be effected more by the summer heat than most riders. At least that is my impression.

Any theories? Other than sneezing a lot last winter because that was my first winter to ride, I do not remember having these type symptoms. I saw an allergist and have been taking shots. This is my first Fall/early winter not to have sinus infections so that seems to be taken care of.

I was frequently overdressed and I was not able to keep my feet as warm at all last winter. I have since solved both problems, at least for the temperatures that I have ridden in so far.