Old 12-02-07, 12:30 AM
stronglight
Old Skeptic

Bikes: 19 road bikes & 1 Track bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
colintdesign, that looks really great! - Nice to see someone being creative!

One problem I personally would have with that set up is simply that it moves the bars back a bit too much for my comfort range. _ This is just a matter of personal preference, but "porteur" or flat touring bars all tend to force me into either too cramped or too upright a position.

So, here are a few options I've messed with... and, believe me, I'll be forever experimenting with different set-ups on different bikes... glad I'm not alone!

This bike has a moustache bar, but an older chromed steel one. It's MUCH narrower than the modern alloy versions - which I find simply too wide. The reach is comparable to where my hands would wind up when riding drop bars with hands resting on the brake lever hoods.

This is my winter commuter bike. The bars are basic bullhorn time-trial style, BUT they are now inverted so they are raised up slightly from the stem rather than dropped down... And, the curved ends were also cut off so the brake levers now reach farther back along the bar and are also positioned closer to it - effectively making them more like MTB levers (... only backwards). This makes it very easy to grab the brakes with heavy gloved hands in cold winter weather, and raising the bars seems to make the bike just feel more stable (to me) on slippery roads, and allows me better vision in traffic during crappy weather conditions.

This bike originally had randonneur style drop bars, but with the old Mafac Guidonnet style brake levers there was nothing to rest my hands on (no hoods) so I kept slipping forward along the curve. So, this bar is another old french drop bar with very square corners which I simply hacked off and then inverted. I left just enough of the curve to offer a good "stop" to keep my hands from slipping forward. Might look odd, but it works... in fact, I guess it is forms something like bar-ends on flat MTB bars, but this is only 40cm wide at the tips, and I really like narrower bars than I can usually find.