View Single Post
Old 12-02-07, 05:53 PM
Saltydawg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Abneycat
I don't know of any hub motor that uses multiple speeds aside from the Crystalyte dual speed series (which don't use gearing, rather a selectable stator setup). I've heard some fairly mixed reports about how well these dual speed motors work.

I recall the Sparc as well, but as JC says, it has an internal gear system like a Sturmey-Archer and so on, but the motor itself doesn't utilize that gearing. One of the big reasons is probably cost, both of these objects (geared motors and internal gear hubs) are expensive compared to their counterparts, dérailleurs and direct drive hubs, combining them together would likely make one *very* expensive piece of equipment.

In my opinion, something like this would probably be *great*, with high performance and low maintenance, if done right. But with the amount of complexity involved, it would have to be done *right*, and would cost dearly to do so.

Oh, okay, so the motor doesn't use the gears then. Well that sucks...

It would probably cost a lot to make something like this at first. But as mroe and more people start buying/making them, they will become cheaper and cheaper.

It's too bad nobody is making these yet. It seems like the logical evolution for ebikes...