Old 12-03-07, 07:55 AM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1429 Post(s)
Liked 330 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Gromit
Great quality video!!! Most excellent.

Very poor cycling!!! Wrong way on a one way, wrong way on a two way (over the double yellow and begging for a left hook), failure to yield to pedestrians in a cross walk, running red lights. Poor form. On the bright side, your friend signaled left turn after you parted ways.

[edit] I'm really only jerking your chain, but it's just something to think about in the future. My measly .02
The pedestrian thing was unfortunate. They had the right of way in all directions at that time. I squeezed through first without endangering anyone I think, but the guys keeping up were, well, trying to stay together for the video and once I froze the peds in their tracks the other two riders shot that gap. I grant you that one...we all sucked there.

TWO turns were signaled! The second rider signaled our right turn just before the ped incident and just before the U-turn. However, we all knew the route before we got started.

The initial one-way-wrong-way was biked pretty slowly and with great caution. The double yellow line crossing against traffic (that was not there) is protected by the double yellow line. There is no reason on earth for anyone to turn left on that stretch at that time of evening. Yes, we were depending on motorists to do what they are supposed to do - always risky in that sense. You would NEVER want to pass on the right anywhere in this city between moving traffic and parked cars. That's why we position ourselves as we do. Sometimes "as far right as safety permits" is the left curb.

As for the speed and the red lights....that's why I commute on a bike. I don't like going slow, much less stopping a zillion times.

If you are really interested in what goes on in someone's head who rides like that, check out my WebLog :

http://joey-bike.blogspot.com/

If you keep an open mind, you will learn something about the failures of city planners as related to bikes as transportation, at least where I live.

Thanks for the response! Sounds like the vid got your thumbs-up regardless of our transgressions.