View Single Post
Old 08-16-04, 02:43 PM
Dahon.Steve

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by astompa
The commute is on SEPTA in Philly. They allow full sized bikes on off-peak trains and foldable bikes on all trains. I'll be taking off-peak trains most of the time but bringing the full sized bike on the train can be a hassle if there are more than a few bikes on the train as there sometimes are. With a full size bike, you are subject to the whim of the conductor as to whether or not you ride. Plus my full size commuter is getting old anyway. I'm not sure if a foldable could fit on the floor in a regular seat. Possibly, although the Dahon's seem a little big folded compared to the Bromptons. I could also possibly keep it on the seat next to me, although you make a good point about paying for one seat and the dirt factor. Anyway I could always sit in the larger seats toward the fronts of the cars.

I'm glad to hear you like the speed 8. I may get that one. How do you carry stuff? Backpack or racks/panniers? I don't think the Dahon's have a nice front bag like the Bromptons do. What about lights/reflectors? Do you have any?
I purchased two Dahon folders thinking I would use them for commuting on trains during rush hour. Didn't happen. I found riding my cheap Dahon (Piccolo) and locking it at the station while having another bike (Pacific toy store bike) at the other end actually worked better. What I do use my Dahon folders are for riding the trains during the weekends. Although I could use a large size bike, a folder gives me the opportunity to sit instead of having to stand in the doorway.

I use a small backpack but you're better off using the rack. When I used to commute 5 miles a day with my Piccolo, the rear rack was fine and worked well. The front bag of the Brompton slows you down because it makes you less aero while acting like a paracheutte. (sp) The Brompton is about as wide as the Piccolo so don't worry about it.

I've ridden SEPTA and the conductor allows you to keep the bike between cars. You might be able to do this and have a bungy chord to tie the bike so it won't tip over.

I always use lights (Opticube) and two red blinkies. I attach one on the back of my helmet while the other says on the seatpost