Old 12-08-07, 06:15 AM
TandemGeek
hors category

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by smunderdog
I'm also curious as to what trainer can accept the tandem. I thought about doing that for fun, but the 160 rear wheel on the Santana won't fit into the 1UP trainer I have...
I was able to get our '96 Arriva into a CycleOps II back in '97. It was a very tight fit that required the removal of the threaded fixing collar on the drop-out width adjuster and a pretty good grip on the right-hand tension/release lever but it did fit and was held tight. The older models would bugger-up your skewer ends so it was ill-advised to use anything other than the el-cheapo steel Shimano skewer with the CycleOps. As for stability, so long as you didn't stand and really honk out of the saddle, it was rock solid. However, if you both got up and weren't really smooth you would indeed find that the trainer would start rocking from side to side which put you at risk for a fall. The only other really disconcerting thing that I noticed when using the trainer was the rather pronounced deflection of the front bottom bracket under pedaling loads. I would literally look down at my feet and watch the front bottom bracket and cranks moving back and forth across a 1.5" path like a pendulum. Of course, on reflection, that's exactly what you'd expect to see but the first time I noticed I was a bit taken aback buy just now much deflection there was even from a small team like ourselves.