View Single Post
Old 12-09-07, 10:52 PM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by guybierhaus
Well I told myself as I read your note, that you must be ok, or you wouldn't be writing. If you are going to be riding after sunset, and I'm pretty sure you will be on your cross country tour, you better equip yourself with a minimum of two lights front and back. As I recall Pughtown road has very little shoulder. I'd want at least three lights on my tail. One solid on and one yellow. The son in law who mountain bikes at night, likes the handle bar light and a helmet light. I guess one lights the road where you are pointing the bike, and the helmet light shines where you are looking. Anyway get more lights, as one who also spends a lot of time driving a car, bikes are tuff to see. Especially if its been raining and another car is approaching in opposite lane.
A neighbor passed me in the other direction on the way home. He told me that I was almost completely invisible from the front. Only the reflectors on my tights were visible until he was opposite me. So much for my reflective jacket.

If I'm going to be out at night in the future, I'll carry spare lights. This was not an experience I care to repeat.