View Single Post
Old 08-18-04, 11:46 AM
bentcruiser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by funbun
I was wondering about hills. I only ride about 3 to 6 mph uphill on my MTB depending on the grade. I've tried recumbents. Rans Stratus and the Vrex. Trying to start uphill on the Vrex was impossible. My foot would always hit the front wheel. However, I liked to more laid back position of the V-rex. The Stratus was great but even slightly uphill was wobbly.

How long does it take to get rid of the wobble?
It does take time to develop the different muscle sets that recumbent geometry needs to climb. If you are new to recumbents, plan on two things: more time training and a reduction in wobble over time... which will happen.

Also consider most of the people who think bents cannot climb are probably new to them. Their muscle sets have not developed yet so they may be discouraged.

Regarding traffic, either of the two bents you mentioned would work. I think shorter wheelbase bikes like the Vrex are more optimal for this. But everyone has an opinion about that. I ride a Burley Canto which can convert between long and short wheelbase. If I had to choose, I would say short wheelbase would be my preference. But it is just that - a preference.