Old 12-10-07, 10:57 PM
acoldspoon
fixed or bent

Bikes: 1989 Panasonic Track 4000, 2000 Burley Django (bike show prototype), 1980's Serotta Custom Criterium

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fixedup
Do you guys know this from experience or what? I dont want another set of sylvans, they're ok but they're a lil small, hence why I think the wides would be good.
Yes, I know this from experience. If you aren't riding with carbon, hard leather, plastic, or wood soles, and attached cleats, track racing specific pedals with high ridges are a bad choice. They are worse than what you have now. What straps and clips you use won't change this from being fact. The pedal cage ridges are very high in order to engage deep in the slot of a cleat. With flexible shoes, like street sneakers, the ridges have nothing to ultimately engage except your flexible foot. If you ride further than the local coffee bar, or really even more than down the block, this will be bad for your feet and bad for your pedal stroke. What is right for flexible street shoes? MTB pedals work well as they are wide enough, have low ridges, and lots of little teeth to grip your street shoe rubber with. The pedals were designed for the kind of footwear you ride in. Same goes for some touring pedals. GR9's are also nice with the addition of a little grip tape. But track pedals for your intended purpose are all wrong.