View Single Post
Old 12-11-07, 08:58 PM
Blue Order

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by stronglight
That bike appears to have 1.) a Vitus frame - but not fork, 2.) Huret dropouts, 3.) Bocama Lugs, 4.) braze-on derailleur cable guides on the BB. These are on the 79 grand touring...
BUT, that year/model also shows braze-on brake cable guides, and also different paint.

My 76 catalog shows the Grand Touring as the only model with Vitus tubing, bocama lugs, Motobecane fork, clamp-on cable brake cable guides... but with generic Motobecane forged dropouts and fork tips and the older pattern paint, and also a different headbadge - on ALL the bikes.

One good indication would be when they may have started using a headtube decal with a simple "M" - the 76 and earlier bikes had the riveted metal oval headbadge.

So, I'd go for one of the 77-78 models.
I don't think that "M" is the original head badge. I'd wager it's the "M" from the seat tube.

Anyway, it's definitely not a 70s model with that paint job-- definitely a 1980s model. Moreover, the 1977 and 1978 Motobecanes also had the oval head badge. And the headbadge that replaced the ovel headbadge was rectangular-- not that "M," which as far as I know only came on the seat tube (but see my disclaimer below regarding European bikes).

Another thought-- by the 1980s, the Grand Touring was no longer made with Vitus 172... But the Super Touring was.

Either a Super Touring (it's got the same seat cluster as the Grand Touring, which might indicate that lineage) or Grand Jubile (if Grand Jubiles were still made with Vitus 172 in the 1980s). Maybe Grand Record, if the Grand Record was downgraded to Vitus by the 1980s.

That Bailly designation is probably the key, come to think of it...

One more thing, I just noticed the OP paid for the rollers in Euros. Hence, a European bike, and possibly a model we're not familiar with (e.g., that "Bailly" designation)...

Last edited by Blue Order; 12-11-07 at 09:18 PM.