stronglight
Old Skeptic

Bikes: 19 road bikes & 1 Track bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by luker
The oil port covers were a feature almost forever, like from the late 50's (whenever they first released the Record Cranks). The oil port covers are still a feature of the latest Record hubs; at least the Eurus Record hubs have 'em (silver clips on black).
I have NEVER seen Super Record or Record TRACK hubs with oil holes. They were made with the "RECORD" inscription below the Campagnolo logo from around 1967 to perhaps around 1985 - but without oil holes. No catalogs show them with oil holes either.

So, assuming the holes and clips are original [and not simply bored out by a previous owner] you may have some very rare production run goofs and possibly worth a GREAT deal of money to a collector of Campy curiosities... although, I suspect there would now be no way to actually authenticate the factory originality of this, since they are used. ~ [Hmmm, that could be a good eBay scam to run...]

Unless the hubs are brand new, it would be virtually impossible to date them by the date codes on the lock nuts. We've often changed complete axle "sets" on hubs including new cones, washers and lock nuts, so there really is no way of knowing the actual age of any used hubs. I probably have enough spare Campy Record lock nuts to fabricate around 10 different specifically dated years of hub sets if I really wanted to match them to a specific bike... But, why bother, since they are all exactly the same during this period anyway. And anyone obsessively building up a bike in that detail would probably be building a new-old-stock frameset, and would also want entirely new components to match.

I suspect rims and spokes could have been changed over the years too. So, those are not really a good indicator of age either.

There actually was a super-light Super Record Track hub set made, beginning around 1973. These were outwardly identical to the Record hubs, but they had Titanium axles and TI outer Track lock nuts [otherwise they used same parts as the Record Track hubs]. These were out of production by some time before 1982, at very latest - after which the standard Record hubs were used as part of the the Super Record group. So, TI axles and TI Track nuts might be a way to realistically narrow down the age of the hubs [or perhaps I should say, the age of the AXLES] - just a little.

I believe any Track hubs with TI axle sets would probably be worth big bucks! Apart from this, a used Record Track hub is a used Record Track hub. - And, regardless of what dated lock nuts you have on or might put on it. They were always top quality and their value is really a matter of overall condition.