Thread: Fats
View Single Post
Old 12-12-07, 07:49 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Tom Stormcrowe
It's the type, definitely! For example, Butter is better than Margarine (except for the Olive Oil type, or transfat free margarines, you know the heart smart stuff), because it's a natural fat that most people can assimilate easily.The exception, of course, is if you're lactose intolerant......

Omega 3 fats = good
Natural fats in food, in correct balance = good.

Transfats = TERRIBLE! Margarine was invented to make Turkeys fatter for slaughter, believe it or not, and it caused a higher % of early mortality in Turkeys from Coronary Artery Disease. (I'm not kidding here! ) Traditional margarine is nearly a plastic compound.
There are degrees of lactose intolerance. The amount of butter used in cooking or consumed on morning toast and dinner rolls probably wouldn't cause problems for most of us who are lactose intolerant. I can consume butter, yogurt, cheese, and ice cream in moderate quantities without marked ill effects. The little bit of milk I had before my Cherry Hill to home ride about three weeks ago, on the other hand, caused me to make three unexpected stops at businesses along the Schuylkill River Trail, and eventually SAG 12 miles from my house.