View Single Post
Old 12-12-07, 08:00 AM
Neil_B

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Air
Thanks all!

So if I'm getting this right say I'm keeping a 30-50-20 ratio of fat - carbs - protein. With a 2000 calorie diet that's 600 - 1000 - 400 or 67g of fat - 250g carb - 100g protein (the 2000 calorie diet could be debated but that's in a few of the links in the OP - just trying to establish some numbers to work with). According to fitday (I know, not perfect) let's say I only had these two things to eat left in the house:

1/8 of a 16" thick crust cheese pizza: 359 calories, 12 grams of fat
1 Avocado: 279 calories, 27 grams of fat.

Let's say I'm staying within those ratios and want to keep my fat down below that 67g from above and let's say I'm at 50g for the day right now. Technically that slice of pizza would actually be the thing to eat so I don't go above my target (though my heart wouldn't like me very much). If I was worried more about my cholesterol than weight loss than the avocado is the thing to eat. Correct?

Again, the point of the numbers for me is to lock down how to track my foods and how much weight to put on certain figures.
I think you are overthinking this, Air. I found that as I calorie counted the fats took care of themselves. 2000 calories of lard and 2000 calories of oatmeal are the same number of calories, but the oatmeal is going to be a lot more filling, and you will be better nourished. And while my dietary changes weren't as drastic as replacing lard with oatmeal, replacing some meats with healthier meats and vegetables, and limiting eggs and dairy products did the trick.

Unfortunately, people get hung up on the numbers and claim weight loss is difficult. It's only as difficult as you make it.