View Single Post
Old 12-12-07, 09:38 AM
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kmac27
I bought a bike from GI Joes and the bike section. There are several mechanics and I happened to run into one of the ones who was not as smart. I tried to get a new chain and he told me not to get a chain unless its rusted. Are you kidding me if my chain doesn't get into gear easily and its lubricated isn't that time for a new chain? Its been 6 months and about 2000 miles. Should I just have a specialty bike shop install it in front of me so I know how?
If it sounds dumb, and is presented without justification... it's probably dumb and unjustified

The right thing for the shop to do here would be to measure the chain stretch. If it's skipping off the gears, it's almost certainly time for a new chain (and possibly a new cassette if it got worn down too much by the old chain). For the details on chain and sprocket wear and replacement, Sheldon Brown's the man: http://sheldonbrown.com/chains.html#stretch