Old 12-13-07, 08:54 AM
ax0n
Trans-Urban Velocommando

Bikes: 06 Trek 1200 - 98 DB Outlook - 99 DB Sorrento

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My mountain bike with slicks is the same average speed as my road bike for my 29 mile round trip. I usually use the road bike when it's nice outside, though, because it has a rack for my panniers, and I have less wind resistance.

Another big selling point is price. Cheap mountain bikes cost $50 new at big-box stores. They might not last very long, but they're cheap. You can get a durable name-brand mountain bike used, and for cheap. I'm talking about bikes that cost $350 and up when they were new, with plenty of life left in them. Go to a bike shop or hit craigslist and you can find one for $100 or so that will last a long time.

Durability is another thing. As was just mentioned above. Mountain bikes are often made of steel. They sometimes have suspension forks. The tires are thicker. The drivetrain components are more readily available (cheaper) yet often more rugged than the stuff they put on road bikes. You can bomb off of curbs, run over storm drains and pot-holes, and ride down flights of stairs on a mountain bike. Try that on your Madone. Hell, try that on a Specialized Allez. A cross bike might tolerate that sort of abuse on occasion, but not with the finesse and comfort of a mountain bike.

I also like to take unorthodox shortcuts on my mountain bike. You don't need roads when you're on wide, knobby tires. Taking the grassy, muddy land behind city hall saves me almost 5 minutes on my way to the grocery store as opposed to riding on the road.

Then, there's the comfort factor. Wide, high-volume tires and front suspension forks absorb a lot of road vibration. The upright seating position is less stressful on the back, as well. People with arthritic hands/wrists and bad backs get a lot of comfort benefits from a mountain bike or hybrid.

An added bonus is the "heads up" factor. Your head is up higher, making your more visible and makes it easier to look around behind you. It also angles your head out toward the road, instead of having to hold your neck awkwardly to look ahead as you must when crouched over on the hoods or in the drops on a road bike.

Simply put, some commuters -- especially the urban variety -- really require versatility and durability over speed and efficiency. Others like the upright riding position for any of a host of reasons. Since every bike commuter has their own specific needs, a mountain bike is often the right choice for some.