Thread: KaBoom!
View Single Post
Old 12-14-07, 11:12 AM
Richbiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had maxxis detonator's on my tandem. They didn't last long, maybe a little over 1000 miles. I think "detonator" has to be about the funniest or most ironic name ever given to a tire.

Anyway, my rear tire gave out at the end of a 60 MS tour here in NYC. As we were at in the last 5 miles I started to notice a slight "bumpa bumpa bumpa" feeling coming from the rear. Upon inspection, we found a bulge forming. So we rode as gingerly as possible, but within the last half-mile it had become quite pronounced--a huge bubble in the rear. We didn't want to finish the ride walking, so we did the last couple blocks about 5mph, and by the time we hit the finish line, there was maybe 20 lbs of pressure left in the tire. The casing had just given out where the bulge had formed. So I still have the front hanging around as a spare. I replaced the detonators with Panaracer Paselas (I think--can't remember for sure).

Funny thing though, despite the huge bulge, the detonator didn't detonate (sorry, I couldn't resist one last laugh).