View Single Post
Old 12-14-07, 12:01 PM
oldguy52
Old Noob

Location: Mid-MN not the end of the world, but you can see it from here

Bikes: Downtube VIIIFS folder, 2 Strida 3 folders, HP Velotechnik "Grasshopper" and a Burley "Hep Cat"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2005 DT VIIIFS. It has given me great service so far, especially considering the price.

This DT/Yan bashing is pretty bogus.

We know NOTHING about the conditions the bike in question was used under, OR the size of the rider. Yet, many seem to automatically assume there is some flaw in the bike. I call BS.

Second point: Many want a cheap bike. That's great, but somewhere along the way you have to remember that you only get what you pay for. TANFL! Let's compare the price of a DT vs a Swift. DT = 300-400 bucks. Swift = 600 - 800 bucks. Is anyone here naive enough to believe that it actually costs Swift TWICE as much to build their bike as it costs DT? I'd be willng to bet the difference is more like 20%. Let's see .... a little second grade math .... Yep, Swift can afford to give(?) you a great warrantee cause you almost paid for 2 bikes in the first place. Not knocking Swift at all btw, Beautiful bikes .... not cheap though. You have to decide if that great warrantee is worth the price. If you're hard on a bike ..... maybe it is.

Third point: It is VERY POOR FORM to take your problem with a product out in public without first giving the manufacturer at least a chance to set your problem right. Yan could conceivably suffer over this for years, when *if asked* he probably could have set things right in a few minutes. Had Yan been given a chance to do the right thing and done nothing ...... Then I would say, sure, fire away.

I have cringed for Yan everytime he came on this board because I knew, sooner or later...... guess it's later now.