Old 12-15-07, 10:55 PM
AEO

Bikes: Bianchi, Miyata, Dahon, Rossin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
So it's supposed to snow 30cm here soon...

So I took a night ride before it really came... but there was still quite a bit of snow being blown around anyways... and I was the only one on the trail... or at least what was left of a trail (who else is crazy enough to take a spin on a bike during a snow storm?)

I also took my camera along...
Right outside my house... for a before shot
Note how nothing is covered in snow and I'm using DT shifters.

Down by the lakeshore/martin goodman trail.
Looks like my new mud flaps are keeping the snow off the BB pretty good.

"
Actually the real reason I went for a ride was, because I wanted to try out my new dinote 200L
Yes, that's 3 lights forward...

This is the trail... erm... well at least I think I'm on the trail... I can't figure out where the path starts or ends...

It's so barren here, I'm about the only one leaving tracks in the snow

Found a bit of cleared trail... about 10m of it anyways... if you look closely, the snow is getting blown pretty hard.

"After the ride" shots...

Surprisingly enough, derailleur and brakes still worked while getting covered in all this snow/ice/dirt.
Stopping power was weaker, but the snow really bogs you down fast anyways.
Shifting was crisp as ever... but the roads were too slippery to go faster than 3rd gear. (around 25km/h)

Some observations on my test ride through the so called snow storm...
Nokian Hakkappelitta W106 700x35 still slips in powder and uncompacted snow with compacted snow/ice underneath.
Dinotte 200L is way better than the 2 other lights I had on there.
Mud flaps that nearly scrape the ground on the front still doesn't stop build up of snow on drive train. At least it keeps dirty slush off the BB.
Take a tripod with you for night shots... most of the shots I took were garbage because it was windy and I kept getting pushed around by the wind.
It's supposed to be the biggest winter storm in 60 years... take a ride in it, it's sure to be a once in a lifetime experience.

Last edited by AEO; 12-15-07 at 11:03 PM.