View Single Post
Old 12-16-07, 08:49 AM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SysResearch
Hey DD,

To tell you the truth I am a tad reluctant to the idea of making the rim to a metal shop that have no hands on experience with the rims. They wouldn't know anything about vertical, radial and lateral loads, rim geometry, wheel dynamics, etc.

They would not have the technology to weld it perfectly and definitely they would not be able to center it.

With best regards,

SR
Really? The machinists in your area are a bunch of dumbasses? I must be accustomed to the NASCAR or aircraft fabricators that know more about vertical and lateral loads, rim geometry, etc. in their big toe then you do in your entire body. My Grandfather was a machinist who worked for Pratt and Whitney, later United Technologies, and his work was on 707s, 727s, 747s, raced the Indianapolis 500, and went to the moon, not to mention the Space Shuttle. You think these people are ignorant about load capacity?

If you are serious about this, go find one and ask him what he can do. (Yes, it could be a woman too). Not all machine shops hone brake rotors all day. I know one fabricating cassette bodies for SRAM out of a single block of Cro-Moly billet in Timmonsville, SC. You may have to ask to talk to a master machinist or fabricator to get what your looking for.