View Single Post
Old 12-16-07, 07:14 PM
nashcommguy
nashcommguy

Bikes: Commuters: Fuji Delray road, Fuji Discovery mtb...Touring: Softride Traveler...Road: C-dale SR300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joeyfrench
Thanks for the replies! I already purchased the rims and front hub, and the Alfine rear hub is to be shipped across the pond. I guess the thing I was worried about is that I trust Sheldon Brown's advice on most things, but he seems to think that cross 4 on a 36 hole is silly. Plus, I don't usually hear much conversation on the subject (a bit specialized- low spoke counts / radial spokes / light weight wheels are trendy, bike commuters aren't the majority).

Joey
Didn't realize you'd ordered an Alfine hub which is huge. Didn't read your op close enough, sorry. Yeah, 4x would be unnecessary in that case. W/a ig hub it's almost like building a front wheel because of the symmetry. Would still suggest the DT alpine 3 spokes. Would, also suggest as big a set of tires as your clearance will allow. Armadillos, Marathon plus, etc. are all tough enough to withstand a rough commute.

Please, post back on the Alfine...I'm thinking if going ig for my commuters and would be interested in the performance in rain, snow, cold, etc. Again, good luck on your build.