Old 12-19-07, 11:03 PM
vik 
cyclopath

Bikes: Surly Krampus, Surly Straggler, Pivot Mach 6, Bike Friday Tikit, Bike Friday Tandem, Santa Cruz Nomad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Hi Mark,

Thanks - glad you enjoyed the blog. I just figured I might be able to make things easier for the next person looking into the Tikit.

Having had a chance to play with a couple Bromptons I think you got a really nice folder - definitely different than the Tikit, but impressive in many ways. I can see that I might have made a different choice if my commute and lifestyle were a bit different. Happily I'll get to bomb around on a Brompton whenever I visit my friends!

I have rolled my Tikit a fair bit and carried it up a few flights of stairs by the "rolling handle". I can see what you mean about the unbalanced feeling when rolling. I find it rolls well and it sure beats carrying or trying to roll my Dahon - OTOH you can't get away from the fact your pushing 25lbs of bike around. I don't really have any idea how you could make it better and still get the great fold. Compared to all the other options I've seen for moving around a folding bike while folded it seems like a pretty good solution.

I've carried really heavy single panniers on the rear of my touring bikes and there is no problem. It is a problem on the front of the Tikit because the wheel wants to turn in the direction of the pannier and combined with the quick handling of a small wheel that isn't really desirable. I'm pretty stoked about getting a two pannier front rack for the Tikit - that and a large Carradice seatbag should make light tours a snap.

Last edited by vik; 12-19-07 at 11:10 PM.