Thread: Seat Height
View Single Post
Old 12-21-07, 11:05 AM
dirtbikedude
Gravity Is Yer Friend

Bikes: Scott Gambler, Scott Ransom, Kona Bear, Bianchi 928 Carbon/Chorus, C'Dale Rize4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BigUgly
...I ride a 59CM road bike and have a 20" MTB. . .
Granted it comes down to personal preference but a 20" may be a bit on the larger side for you. It will work great if you ride smoother fireroads/single track but if you do any steep and/or technical descents/trails you may find that you feel out of control because you can not move around enough on the bike.

I am beginning to think my seat may be too high as I feel a bit uncomfortable in my shoulders and arms because they are carrying more of my weight then my arse. . .
Road bike ? Do you run a flat bar or drop bar? Would seem to me that you are leaning over more on a roadie then a MTB unless you are on more of a commuter/hybrid style set up on the road bike.
Try a riser bar and possibly a shorter stem depending on the length that it has now. If you are worried about the front lifting on steep climbs then be sure to sit on the "tip/nose" of the saddle, lean forward a bit and do not pull UP on the bars AND keep a smooth spin going.

...What would be the effects of lowering my seat? Would my pedal stroke lose some power? Would me legs/knees be under some different strains?

Yes and yes. With the seat set like you have on your roadie (if it is adjusted properly) you will have a more efficient stroke but you will be giving up some maneuverability on the MTB.

Having the knees in a new a different position will change the stress on them and you may even feel a bit of soreness because they are used to the roadie position. If you feel pain rather then soreness give it a rest, see if it happens again and you just may need to keep that higher setting.

Also remember, it is not bad form to mount and dismount a MTB to adjust the seat before and after a climb or technical section though it can become a pain in the arse depending on the trail.

DBD