Thread: low traffic
View Single Post
Old 12-22-07, 12:51 PM
closetbiker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 6 Posts
Outside of riding every day, I tend to react to press that paints cycling in a negative light. I'm more reactive than proactive.

I've been published literally dozens of times in newspapers and magazines. I haven't been on TV though.

I'm concerned about the general publics perceptions towards cycling.

I think this forum has helped me refine my arguments and presentations.

As an example as to how the press might make things move a little easier, I posted on a bike lane problem on this forum recently. Previously, I had another issue in the same place dealing with the same people. YVR agreed with me about the problem I brought up and decided to change things because of my questions, but it was very hard to get any response and it took a long time to get a commitment. Further, it's been a year and they still haven't got around to make the change.

This time, over a period of days, I called the cops first, wrote 2 letters to 2 papers that were published, then I called YVR. YVR had had a call from the cops and they were already movong on changing things. Public perception made a difference. It wasn't just 1 guy calling to complain. It was the cops and possible negative publicity on how YVR wasn't making things as safe as they could that made the difference here.

Last edited by closetbiker; 12-22-07 at 12:59 PM.