View Single Post
Old 12-23-07, 11:40 PM
tandemedge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't be too sure that Trek will replace the frame. After numerous phone calls and e-mails to Trek, including photos, about a flaw in our frame we got no answers nor satisfaction. We have a T2000 that has developed a dimple at the weld of the top tube to the captian's seat post. (It is not a ding nor was the bike ever hit or damaged.) In speaking with the representative at Trek he stated that several engineers agree that the problem may be in the weld but the frame would only be covered for replacement if it failed. This answer was unacceptable to me but I have no other options at this time. We are still riding the frame but keep a constant eye on the developing dimple. We love the bike but hate the fact that we must constantly be prepared for a potential frame failure.

I was surprised at Trek's lack of concern for reasons of product liability and even more surprised as I am (make that was) a loyal Trek owner having three currently including a 2006 carbon fiber 5200. That's over $6000 in Trek bikes in one year! It seems customer loyalty has no place in Trek's business plan.

This frame is our second as the first was damage by the shop when they clamped it on the top tube. That frame, the one with the developing dimple, was sent out as a replacement. I contantly wonder if a welding problem was the reason why it was not assemblied as a complete bike.

Tandem Edge